Many people decide to use the same material as their tabletops (wood, epoxy, et cetera) to make table legs themselves. However, the height of these desk legs is very difficult to adjust manually at home. We have to use saws and other complicated tools to cross-cut each table leg which sometimes causes scratches on the table legs. As a result, the necessity for appropriate table legs grows quickly.
We'll outline the most common varieties of DIY adjustable table legs in this blog and explain why each is the ideal option for you.
In recent years, there have been numberless groups in communities that love to use wood and epoxy resin to create their own tabletops because DIY tables not only have high artistic value but are also cost-saving.
What are the advantages of DIY Adjustable Table Legs?
A lot of people choose DIY adjustable table legs because of the below advantages:
- Convenience: You can easily find adjustable table legs in nearby stores or order them online via E-Commerce platforms.
- Simple operation: You just need to prepare some basic tools to complete the adjusting process. This process may take you 20 - 30 minutes to finish and you can even do it at home.
Understanding the Need for Adjustable Table Legs
In certain cases, adjustable table legs are a plus, particularly when you'd like to save space and avoid clutter. In addition, adjustable height table legs are an ideal option for your budget.
Their versatility and flexibility are the reasons why many tabletop makers choose to use DIY adjustable table legs to change the height of the table anytime and anywhere. The next part will provide specific information and instructions about each type of DIY adjustable table leg.
Exploring different types of adjustable leg mechanisms
Before using the methods below you will need to prepare some tools:
- A proper type of adjustable leg;
- A hand screw;
- A hammer;
- Threaded inserts and bolts.
Credit: Flowyline Design
Credit: ©NUKUL2533 on Canva.com
This kind of leg usually has a knob that you can turn to adjust the height of each table leg. The disadvantage of telescoping legs is that you need to attach them directly to your tabletop by using screws and a hand screw. The telescoping legs' design is quite simple and more functional than attractive. If you already own your gorgeous table legs, this is not a suitable choice. Here are the following steps to insert telescoping legs into your table:
- Measuring and cutting the leg sections.
- Creating interlocking mechanisms for telescoping legs.
- Securing the legs with locking pins or adjustable clamps.
- Testing the adjustability and stability of the legs.
Credit: ©AlesVeluscek on Canva.com
If a table already has table legs, you can use this style of leg by simply adjusting the height of the existing legs. To make the necessary diameter and depth holes in the furniture legs, use an electric drill. Then, insert the T-nuts, tighten them with a hammer, and screw in the screw-adjustable legs. Before installing the leveling feet, you must first weld a threaded insert into a metal leg. To attach screw-adjustable legs to your table, follow these steps:
- Selecting appropriate screw mechanisms (such as threaded rods or acme screws).
- Designing and fabricating mounting brackets for the screws.
- Assembling and attaching the screw mechanism to the table legs.
- Testing the screw adjustment functionality and stability.
Folding or collapsible legs
Credit: ©venusphoto on Canva.com
This is one of the most popular choices because the design of these legs make them convenient to be put away in a corner of the room to save space for our houses.
You must first determine the height of the finished table before selecting the appropriate folding table legs. Users of this approach must be able to select the type of material the folding legs are made of and an appropriate color so that they will blend in nicely with your tabletop. Here are the next steps you must follow after completing previous guidance:
- Fabricating and attaching the folding hinges to the legs and table.
- Testing the folding and unfolding functionality.
- Ensuring the stability and strength of the folding legs.
How to Build Simple Adjustable Table Legs at Home?
If you have a day-off from work or you are a person who has the passion in producing handicrafts at home and you enjoy the sense of accomplishment that comes from creating something on your own. You totally can make a DIY adjustable leg at home with some tools such as those listed below:
- An electric drill;
Credit: ©adpePhoto on Canva.com
- Small pieces of stainless steel (which fit to the dimensions of your table legs);
Credit: ©Andrey_Kuzmin on Canva.com
- A weld machine;
Credit: ©backpack555 on Canva.com
Credit: Flowyline Design
Here are the next steps you need to follow after preparing those tools:
- Drilling a round hole in the middle of the stainless steel pieces and the bottom of your table legs.
- Welding your bolts and pieces of stainless steel together.
- Installing your finished product from step 1 and step 2 in the holes in the table legs.
You can attentively view the video below and follow the instructions for further details:
Finishing Touches and Safety Considerations
- Sanding, staining, or painting the adjustable legs for a polished look.
- Applying protective coatings to enhance durability.
- Incorporating safety features such as locking mechanisms or leg braces.
Tips for Maintenance and Troubleshooting
- DIY adjustable legs should be used as interior furniture because some of them are made of aluminum, iron or alloy, so keeping the table legs clear and dry is an effective way for long-term use.
- Don’t forget to check the screw adjustment functionality and stability every 2 to 3 months and replace them if necessary.
- In some cases, the adjustable table legs may be bent or broken under a huge weight, so you need to replace them with the same type of legs to assure the safety during usage time.
There are only a few tools and a delicate touch required to use DIY adjustable table legs. However, because practically some of homemade adjustable legs are constructed from bare steel, this technique is only suitable for lightweight, tiny tabletops.
Consider the table leg versions from Flowyline Design if your tabletops are larger. We provide a custom-order service that enables you to adjust the height of every table leg to suit your requirements. Flowyline Design table legs are super sturdy, strong, and easy to assemble and they can hold up to 1,000lbs tabletops.
In addition, Flowyline Design fastens rubber adjustable levelers to every metal table leg, these levelers can help table users to avoid scratches on the floor. To transport your table conveniently to required locations, the adjustment levelers can also be swapped out for little wheels.
You can cut costs and save time by using this method. With this design, you may find them easy to move without anyone else's assistance while avoiding slips and scuffs on your floor. We hope that this article will be helpful to you as you select the legs for your DIY adjustable table legs. You can visit Flowyline’s E-commerce platform via the website to take a look at exquisite and durable metal table legs.
Credit: Flowyline Design